Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Foods


Ethan tried his first food last weekend, like most other babies it was rice cereal. He has been doing really well (the doctor was right - he was ready) eating about 5 or 6 spoonfuls, sometimes more, twice a day. Last night we decided to try something new (the doctor said as long as he goes a couple of day on each food without a reaction we should be fine to move on), but I hadn't purchased any baby food yet so I pulled out a banana and mashed it up...I added a little formula to thin it out because between formula and rice cereal he hasn't had anything near as thick as a banana - he gobbled it up. I finally stopped him and fed the bottle because I was worried about giving him too much the first time having a new / thicker food.

The mashed banana got me thinking - is it really that difficult to just make baby food? Why did I decide to feed Brady pre-made (Gerber) baby food? Is the pre-made baby food the reason that Brady won't eat a vegetable to this day (or is it just that he is four)? If I made Ethan's baby food would he be more used to *normal* flavors and be more willing to try new things?

I am sure that I can't blame Brady's bad food habits on the fact that I didn't make his baby food, but I do wonder if it could have something (even if it is just a small bit) to do with it? Would his eating habits be different if I made his baby food?

So, I think I have decided that Ethan will get homemade baby food. I haven't had much time to read up on it - since I came to this realization last night, but I did read a little on the train to work and it seems like it will be manageable - especially since you can make larger batches and freeze them too.

My only concern is with the fact that we are out of the house a lot, especially on the weekends. I worry that I will miss the convenience of throwing a few jars of baby food in the diaper bag. I guess I will just need to figure out how to package the homemade food so that it is "grab and go".

I am sure when Ethan is four he will still have foods that he doesn't like / want....and I am sure it will be veggies, like his brother, but at least I will be able to say I tried made every attempt to get him to eat "real food"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails