Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why I Love it Wednesday - wholesomebabyfood.com

When we went to Ethan's 4 month doctor's appointment the doctor said he was ready for food.  He was eating more than 40oz of formula a day and was doing well with all of the milestones that they like for your baby to meet prior to starting food.  In addition, he was 17lbs 2oz by this point. 

I really wanted to be able to make his baby food so I started looking online to figure out what to do / what to make.  In searching around the internet I came across wholesomebabyfood.com and I love it.  The site includes tips for making baby food, tips for storing baby food, food charts / menu's for various ages and tons of receipes.  Honestly, they show you how easy it is to make food for you little one and a lot of tips and techniques to help you save time too.

For the most part we are still trying single foods for our few days at a time to ensure no allergies, but Ethan was very gassy when I gave him plain squash...so I will be trying this recipe with the hopes that adding something to the squash will make it less gassy on him.

Brown Rice with Apple and Butternut Squash Purée - (4)6 months+

1 squash - acorn, butternut or other winter squash

1 or 2 cups cooked brown rice

1/2 cup applesauce

Cut acorn or butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds

Place halves face down in a pan and cover with an inch of water

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until the “shell/skin” puckers and halves feel soft then scoop squash “meat” out of the shell

Place squash "meat" into your choice of appliance for pureeing

Add cooked rice and applesauce and blend

Add water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency

They also have a blog that I follow http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/news/.  They have a bunch of great receiped for feeding you little ones.  They even did a special Cinco de Mayo menu, including Avocado Mango Salsa and Mom’s Mexican Rice. 

I highly recommend checking out this site and the blog.  It will really show you how easy making food for your baby can be.

See my other Why I Love it Wednesday posts

2 comments:

  1. I adore this website too! It's been so helpful with making my own food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that - I found it to be very helpful so far as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails