Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Homemade Baby Food - What's on the Baby's Plate this week

Photobucket
 
It is Tuesday again and that means its time for Follow Me Back Tuesday hosted by:
Survey Junkie
Little Yaya's
Review Retreat
Boobies,Babies and a Blog

We went blueberry picking on Saturday (again - we went last weekend too) and got a ton of blueberries. Though I have read that you should wait until about 8 months, we decided to try blueberries as our new food this week (he is 7 months, but he has no allergy concerns, does really good with chewing and does fine with items that have some consistency). As a note, we were told by our pediatrician that Blueberries are not in the same "berry family" as strawberries and as such the allergy concern isn't as high is it is with Strawberries (unless there is a family history, etc...)


Blueberry preparation:
 - Bring water (about 1/2 a cup) to a boil, add blueberries (about 1/2 pint) and let them cook until soft.  From there put them the blueberries only (reserve the cooking liquid) into your pureeing devise of choice (blender, food processor, etc... I use the Cuisinart Little Pro) and puree to the desired consistency.

   Additional tips:
    - If you need to thin the consistency while blending use some of the reserved from cooking liquid.
    - If the consistency if too thin for you little one add rice cereal, applesauce or mashed banana
    - Keep an eye out for stray skins after blending.  When they are cooked and pureed whatever skin they get they would probably be able to chomp through anyway - but just to be safe I would pull out any stray skins.

Here is what he will be eating this week:
Acorn Squash (steamed and pureed)
Sweet Potato (steamed and pureed)
Carrots (steamed and pureed)
Applesauce (Trader Joe's Natural - Only has water and apples)
Banana (mashed or just cut into small pieces)
Blueberries (see preparation above)

Possible Combo's this week:
I am not 100% sure what combo's I will give him this week. But here is what I am thinking of doing.

Blueberries and Applesauce (with and without rice cereal)
Sweat Potato and Banana
Squash, Sweet Potato and Carrot
Applesauce with rice cereal
Carrot and Applesauce

In addition, he will probably get some gerber puffs and/or Mum-Mum's to snack on so that he can work on feeding himself. These items are really just practice foods. Sometimes he does ok with getting them to his mouth, but other times they all just end up on the floor. Either way, he is working on his hand / eye coordination and self-feeding.

I would love some other idea's / suggestions, so what is on your little one's plates this week?

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm following from Follow Me Back Tuesday! Stop by and say hi!
    http://blogginmommadrama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm your latest follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday! I host reviews/giveaways on my blog at:

    www.busyworkingmama.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Malaysia! Hopping in from FMBT! I'm your latest follower now! :D

    Hope that you can return the follow at my new blog domain! :D ( I'm a full-time mummy )

    Btw, when my boy was around 7 months old, I gave him these: pureed sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, avocado, banana, potato, spinach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am yor new follower. Hope you will follow me back too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for stopping by...I will be stopping by your sites tonight too.

    I'm a full-time mummy - I wanted to let you know that I tried to leave you a comment on your site but for some reason it wasn't letting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new follower from FMBT! I'm also about to start making homemade baby food!! I'll need some tips!!

    http://www.ingenuemom.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails