Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop - Sweet Potato Muffins



This is my first time participating in Tasty Tuesday (at A Beautiful Mess) and I am so happy to be able to find so many fun recipes.

Here is one of my favorite things to make for the family on a Sunday Morning....

Sweet Potato Muffins (or carrot or squash) are a great way to incorporate vegetables into your children's diet.

The followinf recipe makes a rather dense muffin, so if you want a lighter muffin use your favorite muffin recipe as a base.

Ingredients
3 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts

 - I keep the nuts and raisins out of the initial batch and then add them to my variations below.
 - I also suggest modifying the amount of sugar based on the other items that you are adding (for example, in my modifications below you will see that we add fruit - when adding fruit you can cut back on a good amount of sugar)
 
Directions
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon. In a bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir in sweet potatoes. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.


This makes about 36 Servings

Since this recipe makes so many muffins I like to split the batch and make some fun variation.  Here are some modifications that we make:
  • Sweet Potato and Peaches 
  • Sweet Potato and applesauce
  • Sweet Potato and banana
  • Sweet Potato and Peeches with chopped nuts and brown sugar
You children will love them and the are a healthy way to modify your muffins

2 comments:

  1. oooh sounds nummy. I love sweet potato, I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke you should try them...though I suggest using a different base muffin recipe for fluffier muffins :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails