Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Homemade Baby Food - What's on the Baby's plate this week

Photobucket


I had a great idea this weekend while making a fruit smoothie for my older son....I made a "baby smoothie" too. This is perfect for an older baby and a great idea if your little one is starting to use a sippy cup. I actually fed it to my little guy with a spoon and that worked well until it started to really melt down.

All I did was take frozen fruit (be sure to buy the "fresh frozen" fruit meaning that it has no added sugars, syrup, etc...) that I was using for my older guys smoothie and throw it in the blender with a little bit of water to thin it our and there you have it....a "baby smoothie". We used peach and mango. Other frozen fruits that I keep in stock are blueberries, strawberries (for the older guy) and a berry mix (also for the older guy) and I obviously have frozen fruit puree's as well. An added benefit, with teething babies the coldness of the frozen smoothie will help numb the gums and provide some relief from their tooth pain.

Alternatives:
  • If you are making baby food and have frozen puree's through a couple in the blender, instead of using the frozen fruit (or along with the frozen fruit)
  • If your little one is getting fruit juice (my guy isn't yet) you can replace the water with fruit juice
  • If you are making it for older baby's / toddlers, who are already getting milk, you can add some milk to make it more like a milk shake
Now for his menu this week -

I went a little crazy yesterday with the baby food making so both my refrigerator and freezer are stocked. I let my 5 year old help make the baby's food this weekend too and he was so excited to be able to help. He made the Sweet Potato and the Squash and did almost all of it himself. I peeled and cut the veggies, he put them in the steamer, turned on the timer, I took the out of the steamer and put them into the food processor because they were hot, but he blended them all up in the food processor too. He did a really good job and was so proud of himself.

I usually leave a little bit of each item out and those items will be eaten over the next few days. The rest goes in the freezer either for use later in the week or to be stored for some other time. This works well for me because if we have a busy weekend and I don't have time to make food for him, I know that I will always have back-up's in the freezer.

So here is what we made:
  • Sweet Potato (steamed and pureed)
  • Squash (steamed and pureed)
  • Carrots (steamed and pureed)
  • Green Beans (steamed and pureed)
  • Boiled Chicken
Combinations:
  • carrot, sweet potato and green beans
  • carrot, sweet potato, green beans and chicken
  • Natural Applesauce (just apples and water) and Sweet Potato
Other possible combinations:
  • Natural Applesauce with carrots (a favorite in our house - the 5 year old loves it too)
  • Natural Applesauce with chicken
  • Any combination of the above with rice cereal
  • Banana and sweet potato (we always keep banana in the house for the little guy)
He is also snacking on puffs or cheerios every now and then too and we keep fruit in the house, so there are times when he will have a small banana, plum or peach for a meal as well.

Here is my older guy helping me make the baby food:

4 comments:

  1. I might have to give that a try for my little one! I got frozen strawberries in the freezer now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Follower for FMBT!!!
    I use to make my daughter baby food. Loved it.
    http://nimblergrove.blogspot.com/2010/07/follow-me-back-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I'm a new follower from FMBT. Your blog is super cute too!
    You can follow me back @ http://4mykiddos.blogspot.com/

    Love the idea about the smoothie too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newest Follower! I hope you can come see me at www.hootiebee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails