Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Someone tell my 5 year old that we are NOT a co-sleeping family

 

Let me start by saying that I LOVE my children and I have nothing against co-sleeping (to a point) if thats what you choose, but I NEED my sleep.  The closest that we have ever come to co-sleeping is the moses basket that we got as a gift and used for the baby (and once again that was only because I NEED my sleep).  Well the 5 year old has started this nightly routine in which he comes into our bed between 3 and 4 am.  Which is not the best time for this when you know you have to get up at 6.  By the time we get him back to bed and get ourselves back to sleep it is just about time to wake up again. 

 

So here is the problem - at first I wasn't good about getting up and putting him back to bed,  so I would tell him to go back to bed and sometimes he would and other times he would get in our bed and go back to sleep.  This worked out nicely because I could basically just sleep through it (waking up just long enough to acknowlegde him).  However, since I didn't put him back to bed, it became more frequent and he is in our room just about every night now.  So we have been trying to be strict about getting up and putting him back to bed, because (1) he kicks me while he is sleeping and (2) I really can't let this become more of a habit then it already is.  The problem with being strict about putting him back to bed is that it means getting up, dealing with crying, dealing with what ever the reason is that he CAN'T go back to sleep, finally getting him to stay in bed, getting myself back to bed, finally falling alseep and him coming back into the room - or it being time to get up (depends on the night).

 

So, can someone please tell my son that we are NOT a co-sleeping family so that we can all go back to getting a full nights sleep?

1 comment:

  1. We actually bought a small, kid-sized air mattress with a small kid-sized Cars sleeping bag. We told our 6 year old that if he needed to sleep in our room for whatever reason, he could go there. It's small enough that it doesn't take up much room, and he is thrilled about his own "little bed". We also got him and our 10 year old tents that are small enough to fit in their rooms, so sleeping in them at night is a little adventure.
    http://gypsymommy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails