Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Fun

This is generally our parade weekend,  there are two local parades (each one town away) and we generally go to both of them.  This year, we decided to take the kids to the more family friendly parade and skip the larger and a little less family friendly one.  The larger one is the 6th oldest St. Patricks Day parade in the country and is the largest parade in our state and though we love to go to it (and I have been going since I was a baby) we decided that since the older one doesn't generally like parades anyway and since it is one of those once you get in you can't get out type of things, added to the fact that the 5 year old had a birthday party to go to on Sunday afternoon, we would watch that parade on TV from the comfort of our living room.

 

We did however attend the smaller parade on Saturday.  The 5 year old actually marched with my mom's Irish Dance Group, since he is the one who generally doesn't like the noise of the parades, it was better that he marched with them then standing on the "sidelines" watching.  The baby loved it, the noise from the marching bands did not bother him one bit and he just sat in his stroller dancing and clapping.  Even when they shot the guns he just laughed.  While there we got to see some friends thst we hadn't seen in a while too so that was a nice added bonus.

 

After the parade we went with my mom and her dancers to a local pub that was having an after parade party with music and of course my moms dancers were preforming.  The baby loved the band and the music and was running around like crazy, until he just about feel asleep standing up - this was right as we were getting ready to leave.  The 5 year old was so tired from marching in the parade that he was ready to head home too.

 

On Saturday evening, I was volunteered to help my mom with one of the shows that her dancers were performing at.  She had 15 shows on Saturday, 5 of which were right around the same time on Saturday night so she asked me to run one of them.  Realistically, though I taught for a while in College, I haven't danced in about 10 years so I was a little out of my comfort zone, but the performance went well.  I even ended up having to fill in for one of the girls that was sick and if I do say so myself I did fine!!! Good think I have been doing my cardio lately.

 

As I said we did not choose to attend Sunday'a parade in person but we did watch it as a family at home.  The little guys both watched for a bit, played for a bit, etc... so it was nice for them to be home. After watching the parade the 5 year old and I made St Patricks Day cupcakes before getting him ready to go to his friends karate birthday party.  It was a good thing that we decided to skip the parade he was exhausted after the birthday party so if we had done something else earlier in the day, I think it would have been a really bad evening with him.  He gets slightly off the wall when he is over-tired.

 

So we had an enjoyable family filled pre St Patricks Day weekend and as long as the weather holds out next weekend we will be following it up with a post St. Patricks day parade weekend as well.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not really a parade type of person. I rather watch it on tv. The dance part sounded like fun. Its always a fun to step a little bit out of the comfort zone. I wish I had the courage to dance in front of people. Only the baby twins get to see mommy dance. lol Have a great weekend.

    http://pacifierspumpstheworld.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails